Inclusive Indies was set up by Knights Of and Jacaranda Books in partnership with Spread the Word in 2020, as a response to the impact of Covid-19 on independent presses. After the death of George Floyd an outpouring of support for diverse literature saw the campaign smash through its funding target and raise over £100,000.
Last year the money raised was shared with other small presses, this we are teaming up with other small presses for a summer campaign to champion the important work done by these small indies who often don’t have the marketing budget to reach new readers. This campaign will be sponsored by Spread the Word, Bookshop.org UK and Arts Council England.
Launching on Saturday 3 July and running until 17th July each small press will be introducing their book on the Inclusive Indies instagram page.
Inclusive Indies Campaign titles, authors, illustrators, translators and publishers:
- Should We Fall Apart by Sharon Duggal, Bluemoose Books
- In the Palace of Flowers by Victoria Princewill, Cassava Republic Press
- Let Us Look Elsewhere by Mona Dash, Dahlia Publishing
- Children of the Benin Kingdom by Dinah Orji, Dinosaur Books
- Fovea / Ages Ago by Sarah Lasoye, Hajar Press
- A Long Way from Douala by Max Lobe, translated by Ros Schwarz, HopeRoad and Small Axes
- Mayhem Mission by Burhana Islam, illustrated by Farah Khandaker, Knights of
- Crosshairs by Catherine Hernandez, Jacaranda Books
- Wolfstongue by Sam Thompson, Little Island Books
- Daughters of Nri by Reni K Amayo, Onwe Press
- Fetch Your Mother’s Heart by lisa luxx, Out-Spoken Press
- Sunflower Sisters by Monika Singh Gangotra, illustrated by Michelle Dias-Hayes, Owlet Press
- Unlocked: Stories of Hope from Tiny Owl Artists in Lockdown, Tiny Owl Publishing
- In Search of Mami Wata, Michelle Yaa Asantewa (editor), Way Wive Wordz Publishing
For more information go to the Inclusive Indies website.